Rental FAQ's


As the Landlord do, I need to be present at the viewings?
This is completely your choice, our advice is dependent on which rental package you are looking to choose for your property. If you are looking at the full management package then we would recommend that you are not present at the viewing, this will ensure that any potential applicant meets our representative and the process is explained thoroughly at the appointment. It also means that the potential applicant does not have contact with yourself therefore, will be not be contacting you directly with matters relating to the property during their tenancy - for which you have instructed HPS to manage on your behalf. 

On the other hand, if you are looking at the tenant find service we would recommend that you are present at the viewing or that you meet the tenant during the referencing procedure to ensure that you have met them personally before the tenancy starts and you have direct management of the tenancy. 

Does a Tenant's deposit need to be protected?
Legally all residential tenancy deposits have to be protected through one of the three Government backed deposit protections schemes, here at HPS we choose to use The Deposit Protection Service's (DPS) custodial scheme to protect all deposits. Their service is free to use and should you choose to use our tenant find package you can easily set up a DPS account to enable you to self-manage the tenant's deposit throughout their tenancy. For more information in relation to the DPS, please click here.

It is not a legal requirement for any deposit taken on a commercial tenancy to be protected. 

What are the legal requirements for a Landlord when renting a property?
As a Landlord there are a number of legal requirements that you are obligated to comply with however, do not worry - this is why HPS Management and Lettings are here to help!

You are required to carry out a 'Right to Rent' check on any applicant/s over the age of 18 years, this check ensures that the applicant has the right to reside in the UK.

A Legionnaires risk assessment must also be completed annual.

In addition to this you are also required to ensure that the property has three valid compliance certificates, which are:

- An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) - you must hold a valid EPC when marketing a property, the start of the tenancy and at any point the tenancy is renewed. You also require a valid certificate to be able to serve notice on a tenant to recover possession of the property for any reason.
- A Gas Safety Certificate - If the property has a gas supply whether by a mains gas supply of LPG, you are legally required to have an annual gas safety certificate carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- An Electrical Certificate - As of the 1st June 2020 it is a legal requirement for all new and renewal tenancies to have a valid electrical certificate, from the 1st June 2020 it is a legal required for all rental properties to hold a valid electrical certificate. These certificates often last for a period of 5 years and can only be carried out by NICEI qualified engineer.